On Catacomb Saints, Altruism and Tardiness

 Hello Dear Readers! I bet you thought I fell of the face of the planet, when in fact I just have been battling another bout of writers' constipation. 

I don't know why, but I keep on procrastinating. Every time I think it's time to write a blog post, I clean the apartment instead.Having fur babies who make sure I always have enough to clean, it's not like I have an excessively clean apartment to remind me of my failure as a blog writer...

 But enough of my sorry excuses, let's just start in the middle, since there is so much I have not told you about, I might as well start somewhere.
 Without further ado, I give you Golden Legion. It's called that because it is many. Not that it's all evil and demon ridden. I choose to write about this bracelet today because it has a special story:
 A wonderful lady asked me to make a bracelet for her. But, there is something that sets this commission apart from others. The budget was higher then any other bracelet I made, and all she said was to make anything I want, she loves my style and gives me free reign on what I want to do.
I can do that.
Right?

 And eventually I did! I used 24 carat gold plated size 15 Miyukis mostly, and all the most precious things I had around. I have a few more bumble bee jaspers, and I used one.
 A whole lot of eyeballs, and for those who are interested where those came from the colorful ones are Matthew Nix's creations, ( click on his name for his Etsy store).
 It just so happens that a few weeks before I began working on this piece, the same lady shared an article with me about a book called Heavenly Bodies.

The book is a detailed account of the rise and fall of the veneration of heavily decorated skeletons- the catacomb saints- by the Roman Catholic Church. If you are into macabre stuff and  European history, it's a book I highly recommend. The pictures are wonderful and the writing is fascinating.
As I was working away on the bracelet, the imagery has sneaked into the piece.
But it also made me wonder about the nature of altruism, because I do consider that commission as an active act of altruism.

 In my opinion, there is nothing more selfish, soul satisfying and wonderful as doing something truly good for someone else, because I can. Something random and wonderful, like say, here is twice as much as I should give you, make me something awesome. 
Because when you do that, good things come from it, and the kindness goes on and on.
It made me feel like my work is appreciated and loved, and it inspired me for an act of altruism of my own, where I offered three of my older necklaces up for auction for a good cause.
And it made a difference for the person who's benefit it was for, and for the people who got some nice jewelry, and  in turn they were able to help out too.
So let random acts of kindness inspire you to give and share, and give out free hugs today, because what comes around, goes around. Be kind, because it's good to help, but also because it feels so darn good while at it.

Comments

  1. Fantastic story! Your art and your heart are always inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Igazi gyönyörűség, nagyon különleges!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you get any wiser? More talented? More spot on? Your work moves me - your words always move me, too, even when we disagree. :) You rock, Kinga, and I love your selfish self.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts